You can chat in real time with your BBM contacts and know when someone has read your message. Share pictures, voice notes, your location, and other files.
- On the Chats screen, tap .
- Tap a contact. If you can't find particular contacts, they might be pending contacts or might have recently changed their name. You can also message someone by typing in their PIN.
- Type your message.
To add an emoticon or sticker to your message, tap . Do any of the following:
- To add an emoticon, tap .
- To add a sticker, tap a sticker pack. Then tap the sticker you wish to send.
- To ping someone, tap > .
Tip: Note that emoticons can be sent within a message, while stickers are sent standalone.
Tip: To hide some of your sticker packs, tap . Next to the sticker pack that you want to hide, turn off the switch. You can also rearrange the order in which sticker packs are displayed in your messaging bar by touch and dragging the icon next to each sticker pack.
- You can also see recently used stickers by tapping or visit the Sticker Shop to get more stickers by tapping or visit the Sticker Shop to get more stickers by tapping .
Start a BBM chat with someone from your device's contact list
You can quickly start a BBM chat with someone in your device's contact list without adding the user as a BBM contact. People from your device's contact list who are using BBM are listed in the Contacts category in BBM, while people you added to BBM are listed in the BBM Contacts category.
You can send and receive messages from people in your device's contact list, but these people can't see your BBM status or profile picture, and they can't call you using BBM Video or BBM Voice.
- On the Contacts screen, under the Contacts category, tap a contact.
- Type your message.
Tip: To add a person to your BBM contacts, tap Add BBM Contact at the top of the chat.
Send pictures or files
- To attach a file, such as an appointment or a file saved in Dropbox, select one of the options: There are two ways to send the file to one other user: directly from your phone, or through Dropbox.
- To attach a file from your device, tap .
- To attach a file from your Dropbox account, tap .
- To send a picture, you can either send a picture from your camera or your gallery.
- To take a picture, tap .
- To send a photo from your gallery, tap and select the photo that you wish to send.
Tip: If you receive a picture, you can tap Request HD to request a picture of a higher quality that you can save. You can also choose to change whether you should automatically always accept HD picture requests when you send a picture and other people request HD as well by going to , scrolling down to Settings, tapping General, and checking Always accept HD picture requests.
Tip: You can choose to have pictures that you take in BBM with your phone to save automatically. You can do this by going to > Settings > General > Save pictures.
Tip: You can save, share, or set a picture in chat as your BBM picture, contact picture or wallpaper by tapping on the received photo. > .
Send your location
You can send your location for an indefinite period of time to the chat. It will show a link to the location on a maps app (e.g. Google Maps) on your device as well as the address and relative range of accuracy (i.e. 16m).
- While in chat, tap .
- Tap Send Location.
Record a voice note
Send money with PayPal
Send money to a BBM contact quickly and easily using PayPal!
The first time you send money to a BBM contact, you must enter your email address and PayPal password to associate your PayPal account with BBM. If you don't have a PayPal account, you must create one before you send money.
The BBM contact you want to send money to must have the latest version of BBM installed to receive money from you. Depending on your region, this feature might not be available.
- In a chat, tap .
- Tap .
- If you're sending money to a BBM contact for the first time, sign in to PayPal.
- Enter the amount of money you want to send.
- Tap Next. Follow the instructions on the screen to send money.
Send a timed message or picture
You can send messages and pictures that can be viewed for a specified amount of time. The item is hidden in the chat until you touch and hold to reveal it. After the timer expires, the content can't be viewed. The progress bar shows how much time is left to view the message.
- After typing a message or attaching a picture, tap .
- Select how many seconds you want the other person to be able to view the item for.
- Tap OK.
View your chat history
You can scroll up in an active chat to view messages that you sent or received. BBM can show up to 10,000 messages for each contact. With a file manager app, you can browse pictures or files that a BBM contact shared if you saved them to your device.
If you want to view recent messages after you end a chat, you can change your BBM options.
- Tap .
- Scroll down to Settings.
- Tap Chats
- Check the Automatically Save Your Chat History.
Tip: You can copy important notes to another app or you can use email to share the chat history by tapping .
Tip: When you turn on the Save Chat History switch, your chat history is saved at a regular interval. To save your most up-to-date chat history manually, tap Back up now.
Note: Your BBM settings, including your chat history, aren't saved when you switch devices or reinstall BBM.
If you have been sent a link in chat, you can choose to open it externally. Click here for more details.